Written by am
After a couple of weeks of removing the rust inside and outside, the car looked pitiful. We had no other choice than a new varnish.
Gradually we had demounted piece by piece on the outside of the vehicle - first all lights, then the sills, the radiator grill and finally the bumpers at the back and front. This was a necessary step for the detection of rust and its removal, but also for cleaning and reconditioning the parts in the removed condition. And since the G was already "naked" we considered getting it a new varnish.
The visual appearance was never important to us, we did not aim at having a "beautiful" car, but with grinding off and treating rusty spots, the car ultimately resembled a rag rug. Not to mention the damaged parts of the Binz-extension on both sides, that needed a new filling and afterwards did not look very appealing.
A new color - but which?
It took us a while to find the right color. Despite the plausible advantages of a bright color we both preferred a darker one, except black. We do not like white; in our view, green is too strong related to military or hunting; red would have been possible but we didn’t find an acceptable shade. Hence, blue was the only option. After that was decided, we quickly agreed on the color "Windjammer Blue" (or "Arles blue") - a color used by Land Rover.
The varnishing was done in Hungary due to proximity to our workshop. At this point, once again, thanks and appreciation to Ernst, who drove the G without a driver's seat (!) and doors about 15 km across a national border (!) to Hungary. At the paintshop the vehicle was properly sanded, before the gray primer and finally the blue color was applied.
With the new varnishing, the last traces that allude to the vehicle's previous life as fire truck - namely the bright red color - was extinguished.